Bear's Den is permanently closed.
Bear's Den is a ski area located in the state of North Dakota in USA. The resort is in the town of Fort Ransom, ND.
Bear's Den is not a part of any nationwide lift ticket system. Passes such as Epic, IKON, or Mountain Collective allow pass holders to ski at multiple mountians with a single purchase. Unfortunately, none of those passes work with Bear's Den. To purchase season passes, you'll need to visit Bear's Den's website.
There are numerous options to stay at Bear's Den around the resort. Check out the available options with the form below.
Bear's Den Terrain Overview
Bear's Den has a total of 8 ski trails, which are serviced by 3 ski lifts, gondolas and/or trams. Bear's Den is considered a smaller than average ski area, with only a maximum of 30 acres available to ski. This area is equivalent to 12 hectares, 0.0 square miles, or 0.1 square kilometers.
Bear's Den Elevation
Bear's Den has a summit elevation of 1,190 feet, or 363 meters. However, not all of that elevation is able to be skied. The base of the ski slope sits at 900 feet above sea level, creating a ski hill that is 290 feet (88 meters) high. This is referred to as the slope's vertical drop - or a measure of how high the skiable hill is.
Bear's Den has a very low summit elevation. The summit of this park is one of the smaller ones in the country.
Bear's Den Difficulty Level
33.1out of 100
DID YOU KNOW?
At Parks & Trips, we've created a proprietary Difficulty Score that attempts to show how difficult a particular ski slope is. We get to this number by combining a number of metrics for each resort and comparing them to its peers. Most of the score is based off the amount of easy-intermediate-expert slopes by acreage and the maximum vertical drop of the overall resort, but also includes a few lesser-used metrics as well.
Our algorithm compares each resort’s metrics with all others in North America, then assigns each a Difficulty Score, which we use to rank them accordingly. Resorts with a lower score are easier to ski than those with a higher one. However, a high score does not mean that the resort does not have any easy slopes, or vice versa. This is just an overall score given to the resort based on all its metrics grouped together.
Skiable Terrain by Difficulty Level
Bear's Den has 30 total skiable acres, which can be broken down into the three main groups of difficulty: Beginner, Intermediate, and Expert.Bear's Den is a beginner-friendly ski area, with about 25% of its trails as easy. However, it also has a fair share of more difficult runs - which account for the remaining 75%.
Beginner trails (identified by a green circle) are the easiest trails on the hill with a gradual 25% or less gradient, and are usually wide to accommodate beginner skiers.
Intermediate trails (identified by a blue square) are usually the most popular and crowded runs, which have a slope of anywhere between 25-40%.
Expert trails (identified by a black diamond... or two) are the hardest slopes on the mountain, and have very steep gradients over 40%.
Is Bear's Den good for beginners?
Bear's Den can be beginner-friendly, depending on the runs you take. While it ranks in the lower half of all North American ski areas in terms of overall difficulty, it still has 75% of its trails rated at or above intermediate.
Bear's Den Location
Bear's Den is located in the state of North Dakota, USA. This ski area is nearest the town of Fort Ransom, ND.
Fort Ransom, ND 58033 USA
View on Google Maps
Getting to Bear's Den
By Car: If you are driving, you would set your GPS to either the ski resort's name (Bear's Den), its coordinates of 46.53000, -97.95000 (latitude, longitude), or simply drive towards the town of Fort Ransom, ND to get close.
By Air: If you are coming in from across the country, then you may need to board an airplane to get here.
A medium-sized airport has scheduled regional airline service. This type of airport may or may not accept international flights. Here are the closest medium-sized airport(s) to Bear's Den.
|Jamestown Regional Airport||JMS||Jamestown, ND||44 mi|
|Hector International Airport||FAR||Fargo, ND||60 mi|
|Aberdeen Regional Airport||ABR||Aberdeen, SD||78 mi|
There may also be much smaller regional airports next to Bear's Den, but we didn't list them here due to the fact that no major airlines go through them.
Other Nearby Ski Resorts
Skiers will - especially if coming from far away - try and visit a couple different slopes all in the same trip. Here are the closest other ski slopes within 100 miles of Bear's Den.
Bear's Den Mountain Stats
|Summit Elevation||1,190 ft|
|Base Elevation||900 ft|
|Vertical Drop||290 ft|
(25% Beginner, 50% Intermediate, 25% Expert)
|Avg. Annual Snowfall||N/A inches|