Mont Chalco is a ski area located in the province of Quebec in Canada. The resort is in the town of Chibougamau, QC.
We recently ranked all of Quebec's ski resorts, so you can see where Mont Chalco stacks up against all its nearby ski hills!
Mont Chalco is not a part of any nationwide lift ticket system. Passes such as Epic, IKON, or Mountain Collective allow pass holders to ski at multiple mountians with a single purchase. Unfortunately, none of those passes with with Mont Chalco. To purchase season passes, you'll need to visit Mont Chalco's website.
There are numerous options to stay at Mont Chalco around the resort. Check out the available options with the form below.
Mont Chalco Terrain Overview
Mont Chalco has a total of 11 ski trails, which are serviced by 3 ski lifts, gondolas and/or trams. Mont Chalco is considered a smaller than average ski area, with only a maximum of 50 acres available to ski. This area is equivalent to 20 hectares, 0.1 square miles, or 0.2 square kilometers.
Mont Chalco's slopes see on average 100 inches (3.0 meters) of snowfall a year.
Mont Chalco Elevation
Mont Chalco has a summit elevation of 1,650 feet, or 503 meters. However, not all of that elevation is able to be skied. The base of the ski slope sits at 1,360 feet above sea level, creating a ski hill that is 290 feet (88 meters) high. This is referred to as the slope's vertical drop - or a measure of how high the skiable hill is.
Mont Chalco has a very low summit elevation. The summit of this park is one of the smaller ones in the country.
Mont Chalco Difficulty Level
36.5out of 100
DID YOU KNOW?
At Parks & Trips, we've created a proprietary Difficulty Score that attempts to show how difficult a particular ski slope is. We get to this number by combining a number of metrics for each resort and comparing them to its peers. Most of the score is based off the amount of easy-intermediate-expert slopes by acreage and the maximum vertical drop of the overall resort, but also includes a few lesser-used metrics as well.
Our algorithm compares each resort’s metrics with all others in North America, then assigns each a Difficulty Score, which we use to rank them accordingly. Resorts with a lower score are easier to ski than those with a higher one. However, a high score does not mean that the resort does not have any easy slopes, or vice versa. This is just an overall score given to the resort based on all its metrics grouped together.
Skiable Terrain by Difficulty Level
Mont Chalco has 50 total skiable acres, which can be broken down into the three main groups of difficulty: Beginner, Intermediate, and Expert.Mont Chalco is mostly a beginner-friendly ski area, with about 25% of its trails as easy. However, it also has its fair share of more difficult runs - which account for the remaining 75%.
Beginner trails (identified by a green circle) are the easiest trails on the hill with a gradual 25% or less gradient, and are usually wide to accommodate beginner skiers.
Intermediate trails (identified by a blue square) are usually the most popular and crowded runs, which have a slope of anywhere between 25-40%.
Expert trails (identified by a black diamond... or two) are the hardest slopes on the mountain, and have very steep gradients over 40%.
Is Mont Chalco good for beginners?
Mont Chalco can be beginner-friendly, depending on the runs you take. While it ranks in the lower half of all North American ski areas in terms of overall difficulty, it still has 75% of its trails rated at or above intermediate.
Mont Chalco Location
Mont Chalco is located in the province of Quebec, Canada. This ski area is nearest the town of Chibougamau, QC.
Chibougamau, QC G8P 1Y7 Canada
View on Google Maps
Getting to Mont Chalco
By Car: If you are driving, you would set your GPS to either the ski resort's name (Mont Chalco), its coordinates of 49.91500, -74.30500 (latitude, longitude), or simply drive towards the town of Chibougamau, QC to get close.
By Air: If you are coming in from across the country, then you may need to board an airplane to get here.
A medium-sized airport has scheduled regional airline service. This type of airport may or may not accept international flights. Here are the closest medium-sized airport(s) to Mont Chalco.
|Chapais Airport||YMT||Chibougamau, QC||23 km|
|Roberval Airport||YRJ||Roberval, QC||214 km|
|Nemiscau Airport||YNS||Nemiscau, QC||235 km|
There may also be much smaller regional airports next to Mont Chalco, but we didn't list them here due to the fact that no major airlines go through them.
Other Nearby Ski Resorts
Skiers will - especially if coming from far away - try and visit a couple different slopes all in the same trip. Here are the closest other ski slopes within 100 miles of Mont Chalco.
Mont Chalco Mountain Stats
|Summit Elevation||1,650 ft|
|Base Elevation||1,360 ft|
|Vertical Drop||290 ft|
(25% Beginner, 38% Intermediate, 37% Expert)
|Avg. Annual Snowfall||100 inches|