Mount Maichen - Watson Lake
Mount Maichen - Watson Lake is a ski area located in the province of Yukon in Canada. The resort is in the town of Yukon, YT.
Mount Maichen - Watson Lake is not a part of any nationwide lift ticket system. Passes such as Epic, IKON, or Mountain Collective allow pass holders to ski at multiple mountians with a single purchase. Unfortunately, none of those passes work with Mount Maichen - Watson Lake. To purchase season passes, you'll need to visit Mount Maichen - Watson Lake's website.
There are numerous options to stay at Mount Maichen - Watson Lake around the resort. Check out the available options with the form below.
Mount Maichen - Watson Lake Terrain Overview
Mount Maichen - Watson Lake has a total of 9 ski trails, which are serviced by 2 ski lifts, gondolas and/or trams. Mount Maichen - Watson Lake is considered a smaller than average ski area, with only a maximum of 150 acres available to ski. This area is equivalent to 61 hectares, 0.2 square miles, or 0.6 square kilometers.
Mount Maichen - Watson Lake's slopes see on average 187 inches (5.7 meters) of snowfall a year. That is almost 15 feet every year!
Mount Maichen - Watson Lake Elevation
Mount Maichen - Watson Lake has a summit elevation of 3,018 feet, or 920 meters. However, not all of that elevation is able to be skied. The base of the ski slope sits at 2,296 feet above sea level, creating a ski hill that is 722 feet (220 meters) high. This is referred to as the slope's vertical drop - or a measure of how high the skiable hill is.
Mount Maichen - Watson Lake's summit elevation is about average. There are a lot of ski slopes that are quite a bit higher, but also many that are much, much smaller.
Mount Maichen - Watson Lake Difficulty Level
30.9out of 100
DID YOU KNOW?
At Parks & Trips, we've created a proprietary Difficulty Score that attempts to show how difficult a particular ski slope is. We get to this number by combining a number of metrics for each resort and comparing them to its peers. Most of the score is based off the amount of easy-intermediate-expert slopes by acreage and the maximum vertical drop of the overall resort, but also includes a few lesser-used metrics as well.
Our algorithm compares each resort’s metrics with all others in North America, then assigns each a Difficulty Score, which we use to rank them accordingly. Resorts with a lower score are easier to ski than those with a higher one. However, a high score does not mean that the resort does not have any easy slopes, or vice versa. This is just an overall score given to the resort based on all its metrics grouped together.
Skiable Terrain by Difficulty Level
Mount Maichen - Watson Lake has 150 total skiable acres, which can be broken down into the three main groups of difficulty: Beginner, Intermediate, and Expert.Mount Maichen - Watson Lake is a beginner-friendly ski area, with about 45% of its trails as easy. However, it also has a fair share of more difficult runs - which account for the remaining 55%.
Beginner trails (identified by a green circle) are the easiest trails on the hill with a gradual 25% or less gradient, and are usually wide to accommodate beginner skiers.
Intermediate trails (identified by a blue square) are usually the most popular and crowded runs, which have a slope of anywhere between 25-40%.
Expert trails (identified by a black diamond... or two) are the hardest slopes on the mountain, and have very steep gradients over 40%.
Is Mount Maichen - Watson Lake good for beginners?
Mount Maichen - Watson Lake can be beginner-friendly, depending on the runs you take. While it ranks in the lower half of all North American ski areas in terms of overall difficulty, it still has 55% of its trails rated at or above intermediate.
Mount Maichen - Watson Lake Location
Mount Maichen - Watson Lake is located in the province of Yukon, Canada. This ski area is nearest the town of Yukon, YT.
Yukon, YT Y0A Canada
View on Google Maps
Getting to Mount Maichen - Watson Lake
By Car: If you are driving, you would set your GPS to either the ski resort's name (Mount Maichen - Watson Lake), its coordinates of 60.11500, -128.75101 (latitude, longitude), or simply drive towards the town of Yukon, YT to get close.
By Air: If you are coming in from across the country, then you may need to board an airplane to get here.
There may also be much smaller regional airports next to Mount Maichen - Watson Lake, but we didn't list them here due to the fact that no major airlines go through them.
Other Nearby Ski Resorts
Skiers will - especially if coming from far away - try and visit a couple different slopes all in the same trip. Here are the closest other ski slopes within 100 miles of Mount Maichen - Watson Lake.
Mount Maichen - Watson Lake Mountain Stats
|Summit Elevation||3,018 ft|
|Base Elevation||2,296 ft|
|Vertical Drop||722 ft|
(45% Beginner, 33% Intermediate, 22% Expert)
|Avg. Annual Snowfall||187 inches|