Ski Mystic Miner is permanently closed.
Ski Mystic Miner is a ski area located in the state of South Dakota in USA. The resort is in the town of Hill City, SD.
Ski Mystic Miner is not a part of any nationwide lift ticket system. Passes such as Epic, IKON, or Mountain Collective allow pass holders to ski at multiple mountians with a single purchase. Unfortunately, none of those passes work with Ski Mystic Miner. To purchase season passes, you'll need to visit Ski Mystic Miner's website.
There are numerous options to stay at Ski Mystic Miner around the resort. Check out the available options with the form below.
Ski Mystic Miner Terrain Overview
Ski Mystic Miner has a total of 44 ski trails, which are serviced by 4 ski lifts, gondolas and/or trams. Ski Mystic Miner is considered a smaller than average ski area, with only a maximum of 300 acres available to ski. This area is equivalent to 121 hectares, 0.5 square miles, or 1.2 square kilometers.
Ski Mystic Miner Elevation
Ski Mystic Miner has a summit elevation of 6,850 feet, or 2,088 meters. However, not all of that elevation is able to be skied. The base of the ski slope sits at 6,000 feet above sea level, creating a ski hill that is 850 feet (259 meters) high. This is referred to as the slope's vertical drop - or a measure of how high the skiable hill is.
Ski Mystic Miner's summit elevation is higher than average. There are a lot of ski slopes that are much higher than this one (some stretch to 12,000 feet!), but it is not small by any stretch of the imagination.
Ski Mystic Miner Difficulty Level
32.7out of 100
DID YOU KNOW?
At Parks & Trips, we've created a proprietary Difficulty Score that attempts to show how difficult a particular ski slope is. We get to this number by combining a number of metrics for each resort and comparing them to its peers. Most of the score is based off the amount of easy-intermediate-expert slopes by acreage and the maximum vertical drop of the overall resort, but also includes a few lesser-used metrics as well.
Our algorithm compares each resort’s metrics with all others in North America, then assigns each a Difficulty Score, which we use to rank them accordingly. Resorts with a lower score are easier to ski than those with a higher one. However, a high score does not mean that the resort does not have any easy slopes, or vice versa. This is just an overall score given to the resort based on all its metrics grouped together.
Skiable Terrain by Difficulty Level
Ski Mystic Miner has 300 total skiable acres, which can be broken down into the three main groups of difficulty: Beginner, Intermediate, and Expert.Ski Mystic Miner is a beginner-friendly ski area, with about 40% of its trails as easy. However, it also has a fair share of more difficult runs - which account for the remaining 60%.
Beginner trails (identified by a green circle) are the easiest trails on the hill with a gradual 25% or less gradient, and are usually wide to accommodate beginner skiers.
Intermediate trails (identified by a blue square) are usually the most popular and crowded runs, which have a slope of anywhere between 25-40%.
Expert trails (identified by a black diamond... or two) are the hardest slopes on the mountain, and have very steep gradients over 40%.
Is Ski Mystic Miner good for beginners?
Ski Mystic Miner can be beginner-friendly, depending on the runs you take. While it ranks in the lower half of all North American ski areas in terms of overall difficulty, it still has 60% of its trails rated at or above intermediate.
Ski Mystic Miner Location
Ski Mystic Miner is located in the state of South Dakota, USA. This ski area is nearest the town of Hill City, SD.
Hill City, SD 57745 USA
View on Google Maps
Getting to Ski Mystic Miner
By Car: If you are driving, you would set your GPS to either the ski resort's name (Ski Mystic Miner), its coordinates of 44.08000, -103.63000 (latitude, longitude), or simply drive towards the town of Hill City, SD to get close.
By Air: If you are coming in from across the country, then you may need to board an airplane to get here.
A medium-sized airport has scheduled regional airline service. This type of airport may or may not accept international flights. Here are the closest medium-sized airport(s) to Ski Mystic Miner.
|Rapid City Regional Airport
|Rapid City, SD
|Gillette Campbell County Airport
|Western Neb. Rgnl/William B. Heilig Airport
There may also be much smaller regional airports next to Ski Mystic Miner, but we didn't list them here due to the fact that no major airlines go through them.
Other Nearby Ski Resorts
Skiers will - especially if coming from far away - try and visit a couple different slopes all in the same trip. Here are the closest other ski slopes within 100 miles of Ski Mystic Miner.
Ski Mystic Miner Mountain Stats
(40% Beginner, 40% Intermediate, 20% Expert)
|Avg. Annual Snowfall